July 30, 2013

What's today?

     Today we went to Los Angeles for some fun. Just trying to squeeze in one more day of fun before Josh has to return to work on Thursday. We've really been enjoying our summer. Spending time with family, a family reunion, meeting new PFFD families, going to the beach, play dates, the PossAbilities swim party, museums, movies, a local zoo and swimming lessons. Today we finally got to go to the LACMA museum in Los Angeles. Then we headed over to the Farmer's Market for some sweet treats. The girls asked to ride the trolley so we did that too. In the middle of the day, out of nowhere Amaya asked, "wait, what's today?""Tuesday, July 30th," I said. She looked at me, with a look that's hard to describe, and said, "ah, two more weeks until my surgery. I hate surgeries."Josh picked her up, consoled her, comforted her, and talked her through it. 
     But that look, and her question still sits with me. I'm not so much bothered by her comment that she "hates surgeries." I mean, does anyone like surgeries? Except for maybe surgeons. I don't blame her for hating surgeries or dreading having to have another one. But, what bothers me is that she knew exactly how much longer until her surgery. She knows when it is, and seems to be thinking about it, counting down to it, and worrying about it. Possibly even dreading it. It breaks my heart to think that she has all this worry, anxiety, fear, feeling of dread on her almost eight year old shoulders. Ugh. And even though she seems to be handling it all quite well, my aching heart can't help but wish that I could take these fears and worries away. It seems no matter how much we try to explain to her that this is an "easy" surgery, and not a big deal, etc. she still wishes she didn't have to have one more surgery. Bottom line is that a surgery is still a surgery, no matter how small or easy it is. Even though its a simpler procedure, with only an out patient stay, and a quicker recovery it seems the feelings leading up to it are all the same. For her and for our family. Even Lidie has expressed some concern for Amaya and her upcoming surgery. Lidie loves her sister and often tells us that she wished she would have the "short leg and fixator, not Amaya." 
So please keep my girls in your thoughts. Send them calming thoughts these next two weeks. Thanks again for your care and concern.
The girls hugging at Seal Beach after a fun day of playing. And in case you're wondering no they're not wearing lipstick, its just the filter on the camera.     
 
Josh took this today of Amaya and me holding hands. It makes me smile just to look at it.
Here's the water slide at the Drayson Center where the PossAbilities swim party took place. The swim party marked the one year anniversary since Amaya has been a member of PossAbilites. We've benefited so much from their programs.

This year Amaya decided she wanted to try the water slide. She loved it! It didn't bother her hip (I was worried the whole time) so she slid many times!
Here she goes.
 Look at that smile. 
Here's sweet Lidie enjoying her first pool party since learning how to swim. She decided to save the water slide until next year.  
Look at her go. 
She slid down so fast!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I will certainly keep Amaya and all of you in my thoughts and prayers!!
    (Terry)

    ReplyDelete