February 24, 2022

Officially Done!

     Yesterday I eagerly waited for Dr. Nelson's reply to my email. I wish I could say I was patient, but, well let's just say I tried to be patient. It's hard waiting for medical news. I tried many things to distract myself. Thank goodness for good friends! Even though I assumed things were good I wouldn't believe it until I heard it directly from Dr. Nelson. When I woke up I saw Dr. Nelson had responded. I know he's incredibly busy so I'm grateful he replied so quickly! He said the x-rays looked great! However, the way they took the x-ray of the pelvic bone made it impossible for him to get a "precise measurement." So he asked some follow-up questions and asked for a line to be drawn on top of the femoral heads. Our radiology tech here said they don't do that and that it is done by a "surgeon." I've seen him do it many times so I gave it a try. I sent the new images back to Dr. Nelson as well as all the details of our lengthening. He had also asked how the leg felt to Amaya, she said it felt good and as even as possible (she's not fully able to straighten her left knee to stand). 

    When he responded he said that the femoral head on the left was just a few mm below the right one, but her bent knee would explain that. He also said, "I think she did a great job and no more lengthening necessary." Wow, I was moved with emotion as I read that! When we saw him in October he said we'd need to lengthen about 2 cm (.78 inches) we ended up doing 2.014 cm (.79 inches). That's pretty darn close to what we needed! It's amazing! This lengthening journey, that we began when she was five years old is now over (mostly). What a huge accomplishment and milestone in her life! I am joyful, grateful and proud. All in all she grew 10.1 cm (3.99 inches) of new bone! We didn't lengthen yesterday and she had a good nights sleep, "the best in a long time." She's earned a good night's rest. 

    Physical therapy was challenging today. Her knee measured 90 degrees when we started and the therapist made the goal of 100 degrees for today's session. Amaya worked very hard, with grunts and whimpers of pain she didn't give up. The therapist was impressed and said Amaya was "tougher than most her other patients." She cautioned Amaya to not push too hard; where she experiences debilitating pain or struggles to sleep. In thirty minutes the therapist had Amaya "push, pull, relax and repeat." That sounds so easy, but I watched in amazement as Amaya worked hard. She felt pain in the front and side of her knee. The therapist said that what she's feeling is the actual "stretching" of the muscles. When Amaya would gain some degrees the therapist would hold it for her for a full minute. The therapist said that that's where the stretching happens. Amaya was not only able to get a 100 degrees today, but she surpassed it! She ended her session with 103 degrees! The therapist was so happy that Amaya gained five degrees in two days! In a little over two weeks she went from 57 degrees to 103! I'm so proud of Amaya's efforts! Thankfully the rest of the day her pain has been manageable; we've been icing her knee and using over the counter Tylenol every six hours. 

My attempt at drawing a line from the top of one femoral head to the other. It was good enough for Dr. Nelson to measure. 
While I was looking at her pelvic x-ray I noticed this dark line on the top of the bone on the right side. 
I have no idea what it is, but it looks like a small break to me. I sent it to Dr. Nelson to get his opinion. He said its her growth plate and "totally normal." It's such a relief to hear that! 
You can see a muscle tighten as she bent it.
Laying down and doing knee bends.
Holding a knee bend.
I tried to capture Amaya's face as she powered through the pain.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazingly brave girl and Mamma. Few will know what goes into such a journey and few will understand the everlasting memories it carves into our children's heads, but all i can say is "Well done to both of you" Always remember as hard as it is for the patient, it is fiercefully as difficult for the caregiver of that patient. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete