November 29, 2013

Thankful

I'm celebrating Thanksgiving in Phoenix, AZ with some of our family. I began thinking about Thanksgiving and what I'm thankful for. Just for kicks I looked up the word thankful in the dictionary. Here's what I found. "Thankful: conscious of benefit received." I have received many benefits. I am truly thankful and grateful for each and every one of them.

On this day I'm thankful for Josh, my loving partner who brings joy to my life and can always make me laugh, even in the most trying of times. That's a rare gift and I'm grateful for him. He has a depth of compassion, patience and love.

I'm thankful for Lidie, our spunky five year old, who makes me laugh, is sweet and kind.
I'm thankful for Amaya, our old soul, who is brave and kind. I'm proud to be their mother. I'm grateful that I'm able to watch them grow, for the kisses I get and the lessons they teach me. I'm thankful for how close and connected our family has grown these past few years. Our little family of four is stronger. And I know that, that is a special thing. We've survived and emerged through love.

I'm thankful for my family: who've helped me grow, taught me to be kind, generous and resilient. They've given me a rich culture to share with my girls. I'm thankful for family who's near and far. Some in Mexico, some in New York, some in Michigan, some in North Carolina, and some in New Mexico. Distance doesn't stop the love. I'm also thankful for all our family who've helped us, and encouraged us these past few years.

I'm thankful for the job I have. It gives me the opportunity to help others. I'm also grateful for the co-workers I have that help pass the days with laughter and whom I'm proud to know. It's a great treat to  work with genuinely kind people who want to help others.

I'm thankful for the friends we have.

I'm thankful for our PFFD friends, and allies throughout the world.  We've "met" many online and have actually been able to meet some in real life these past couple of years. These special friends have given help, advice, compassion, empathy and support. Their kids have given the greatest gift to our girls: acceptance and understanding.

I'm thankful for the quality care Amaya has received these past few years. And for Dr. Nelson who is as equally skilled as he is kind. And for our therapists who's help and work I'm grateful for each time I watch Amaya climb and run with ease. I'm thankful that Amaya recovered from her fourth surgery (this summer) with ease; she's pain free, comfortable and recovered. I'm also thankful we get a break from surgeries for a few years, very thankful. I'm thankful that although Amaya still has her bed sore on her heel, it's under control and being treated.

I'm thankful for medical  insurance that covered the costs of her surgeries and follow up care. I'm thankful for how far Amaya has come. For her heath and strength.

I'm thankful for you, the reader, who takes time out of your busy life to read about Amaya and her journey. With the struggles, the joys, the highs and the lows. Thank you for allowing me to vent, and for the kindness you send to us. Thank you for your love, concern and compassion.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Martha! I saw a comment on FB (Reilly's page) that lead me to your blog. My 1 year old son has PFFD and we live in Redlands. We are also seeing Dr. Nelson, and glad to hear you are happy with him. May god bless your family. Nothing can stop these kids. I have learned very quickly this will not stop my son from anything. He is a very determined little boy. And finding pages/ blogs like yours and Reilly's gives us so much strength. Thank you! Bless your family! And I hope all of your daughters surgeries are successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! And thank you so much for writing! I can't tell you how happy I am to "meet" another PFFD parent so close to us. We're like 45 minutes away from Redlands and would love to meet in real life. We're very happy with Dr. Nelson, your son is in great hands!
      Please feel free to ask any questions or to vent. Here's my email, xochma29@yahoo.com
      Hope to hear from you soon.

      Delete