March 14, 2012

Old friends, new friends

     Today we had our first real outpatient physical therapy session. It was also the first time that I had to take the girls to physical therapy alone.  Josh returned to work yesterday, which brings added stress to both of us. I made sure to plan plenty of time to transition and get ready to go to therapy. We're learning to move at a different pace; a bit slower, a bit more planned. We did great getting ready and out the door in time. Surprisingly the one that had a hard time was Lidie. She was very afraid and nervous. She was afraid that we would leave her somewhere, or that Amaya would be going back to the hospital. It was sad to see her so on edge and in tears (she's normally easy going). Poor girl, this past week has been hard on her (being away from Amaya, Josh and myself, spending the day with different people). We had our session with Melissa today. She told us that on average fixators weigh about six pounds. She also told us that Dr.Nelson goes to Haiti (that's where he's at this week) several times a year for missionary work. And reminded us just how fortunate we are to have him here. She said he's one of the few on the west coast who performs these kinds of surgeries. I am so grateful that Amaya is under his care. Amaya did great at physical therapy; she was cooperative and pushed herself. Melissa gave us some homework to do at home (at least twice a day). Amaya didn't cry (like I was expecting her to), but did fall asleep by seven o'clock. She was so tired.
     After physical therapy Amaya asked if we could stop by her old school to visit old friends and teachers. She was so excited to visit and they were all happy to see her too. Several people were surprised to see how well she was doing. Several kids asked what happened, and how she was doing. She explained why she had to have her surgery and what her fixator does.It was nice seeing good friends at Clare Cherry. It's more than just a school to us; Josh and I met there fifteen years ago, and we've created lasting friendships with many people there throughout the years. Amaya's friends were gentle, kind, and helpful.

Amaya and Melissa working the leg. Melissa was happy with how high Amaya was able to get her leg up. Amaya was also able to get her knee bent to 102 degrees (that's great!).

After physical therapy Amaya was all smiles.

Lidie got to play with some of the toys in the pediatric gym for part of the time. She also did her own "exercises."

Amaya and friends at Clare Cherry hanging out on the blacktop. Lidie was close by "keeping guard."


At home, Amaya discovered that she could lift her leg up by her fixator bar. She said, "they told me I could, but I didn't believe them. But, I can!"

Amaya's wheelchair fits perfectly at our dinner table. We played Candy land and put two puzzles together.

Amaya wrote this yesterday. I think it's just wonderful. 
She said she wrote it for us and to share with the world. 
It says, 
"all about me
about my life. I do not like haveing a cast enthen (and then) a fixator but i'm fine how my life is. I love myself. Yesterday I had physical therapy I got this sticker. My DaD and MoM and sister help me. I love star wars. Watch your favorot (favorite) movie. When you are angry or upset and sad and with someone. Love yourself. No mader (matter) how you war (were) Boran (born) Love everyBody!!"

6 comments:

  1. 15 years ago?! Doesn't seem possible! We all worked together when you and Josh started dating!!!!
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Amaya's letter to share with the world! What a kind heart and great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! Tell Amaya that we are so excited to have met her over the internet and we hope to connect in a couple of weeks! Keep up the difficult work of therapy and the positive attitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Cecilia- Thank you for sharing the pictures they are absolutely wonderful. And tell Amaya she's a great writer-- just like her mommy! We can't wait to see her back at Kendall. And I am so happy to see the progress she is already making. Love you guys!!
    -Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, we met in 1997, and it's crazy how fast that time has passed. But, we're so thankful for all the friends we met at Clare Cherry(you included).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, we looking forward to meeting too. Thanks for the encouragement and support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoy the pictures (it's easier to show people then try to explain things sometimes). Amaya is looking forward to returning to school too. Thank you for the support.

    ReplyDelete