March 7, 2012

Day two came and went quickly

     It's hard to believe Wednesday has come and gone already.  After my morning post we had a lot happen. First the nurse brought Amaya some liquid medicine to drink to soften her stools and prevent tummy troubles. Amaya was pretty hesitant to take any medication. We asked the nurse about giving her the Valium early (to help ease her nerves). The nurse agreed that would be a good idea. But that meant giving her two medicines in a short time. She ended up drinking her liquid medicine and eating her Valium in a little yogurt. The nurse then asked us to place a diaper under her in case she had any accidents. Amaya was hesitant (okay very hesitant and wouldn't allow us to do it). After trying for quite sometime we decided to wait because we knew she wouldn't be needing to use it soon. The physical therapist came in about eleven (I honestly cant remember. I have no concept of time) and began to work with Amaya. While the session was starting Dr. Nelson and one of the assisting surgeons came in. Dr. Nelson told the therapist that Amaya's leg could bend completely. He let us know that the first time she had therapy was the roughest (not so much because of pain, the epidural took care of that, but because of fear). The therapist had Amaya bend both legs (she said it was important to not ignore the non operated leg) at the hip and at the knee. She also had her sit up and use her arms to push herself to the edge of the bed. As she sat at the side the therapists bent her knee as far as it could go (it was past 90 degrees, which is great!). Amaya was nervous and in pain as she would move, but she pushed on her epidural pain button (to release an added dose of pain medicine) and powered thru it. She did some whining, saying that she couldn't do it. The therapist said that "cant wasn't allowed, only I'll try." Amaya started to comply. It was a rough session (I just wanted to give Amaya a break and let her rest) but she did it! Everything that needed to be done; she did! She was amazing! The therapist said that she could feel Amaya working her muscles, but that the epidural made it hard for her to move.
     After the session Amaya managed to smile. The therapist gave us homework (to bend each leg every hour). Poor girl was exhausted and was in and out of sleep while watching a movie. Josh managed to squeeze in a nap. Amaya asked me to rub her left foot. I did and ended up laying my head next to her to rest a bit. After lunch (Amaya still doesn't have an appetite) we made arrangements for Lidie to visit later in the day (Amaya was missing her and asking to see her). I also made a call to Marilou at Beaver Medical group (she's the insurance coordinator) to let her know that the referral for Amaya's physical therapy should be on its way and to please keep her eyes out for it. Marilou was wonderful! She asked how Amaya was doing and told me that she had the referral in front of her and was processing it. She said it had a rush on it and the doctor had wanted it approved by Friday. Dr. Nelson said he wouldn't let Amaya be released unless physical therapy was in place (he doesn't want her missing any days of it). I was so thankful for Marilou's kindness and professionalism.
   Amaya started to get visitors that cheered her up. In the afternoon we had her second session of therapy. It was just as hard as the first, maybe even more. In addition to the stuff she did earlier she also had Amaya move into a wheelchair. She also reminded us that we really needed to do our homework. I know she's right, but sweet Amaya was tired and in pain, and heck it hadn't even been a full day since she had her surgery. Amaya shed some tears, but did it. I can't believe how much she's done in such a short time. It was hard seeing her in pain, yet great to see her do so much. The therapist said the more she moves, the easier it'll get.
     Lidie got to visit Amaya today; it was nice to see them hug and kiss. They both missed each other. After Lidie left and her visitors left I told Amaya we needed to do our homework. She started to bargain and beg me not to (I wanted to give in so badly), but simply said "I love you, and have to take care of you. I'll count to ten then start." She kept interrupting and begging me to stop as I counted. But when I got to ten I did it. Just like that. We did three bends on both legs. It wasn't a lot, but enough to take my fear away (from hurting her) and hers as well.
     I'm exhausted; the therapy sessions were exhausting, intense, and stressful.
I'll try to add some pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment