November 14, 2021

We've got a surgery date

Friday morning I got a voicemail letting me know that Amaya's surgery had been scheduled for January 25, 2022. I was instantly happy, nervous and relieved. A minute later I was hit with a wave of emotion. I sat and cried. As happy as I am that Amaya will get her leg issues corrected and pain relieved I couldn't help but think, 'they're going to break my baby's leg.' Mostly I hate that Amaya has to deal with ongoing pain. I hate that she has to deal with surgeries and painful procedures. This will be her eighth surgery, eighth. 

At times I get sad and frustrated that this is Amaya's life, our life. And then the moment passes and gratitude washes over me. I'm grateful Amaya has an amazing surgeon. I'm grateful she has a treatment plan and that there's an end in sight for her pain. I'm grateful to have such a loving and supportive community. 

I got to spend lunch with Amaya, one of the many perks of working in the district where she attends. As soon as I told her her hands began to shake. The first thing she said was, "What?! You just say that out of nowhere?!" She was filled with all sorts of emotions. But mostly she was glad that a date was scheduled. The more she thought about it she began to worry about the thing she dreads the most...getting an IV. I suggested we not worry about that yet. And she agreed. So we focused on the good stuff...doing something to get rid of her pain.  

As the day and weekend went on Amaya began to ask questions...will she have to use a wheelchair? or a walker? If so, for how long? How are we getting down there? There are still so many details to figure out...traveling down, prepping for the surgery, taking time off work, etc. I'm beginning to prepare, make plans and arrangements and begin to research what's to come. Once that gets to be too much I take a moment to just breathe and to reach out for help and support. 

As we plan and prepare over the next two months the thing that will keep me going is our community. Made up of family, friends, coworkers and our PFFD families around the world. Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment