February 29, 2012

Snow day

     Yesterday Josh and Amaya took a snow day.  I'm so glad they did. With all that's to come our way in the next few days, they needed (we all did) an extra day to just stay home, to play, to snuggle, to laugh, to rest. It was such a wonderful day. We made sure to sled, have a snow ball fight, roll snow, make snow angels, and build a snow man (we tried, but have nothing to show for it). Then we came in, had homemade vegan blueberry muffins (don't let the word vegan throw you off, they're delicious!), potato and corn chowder. Yum. I can't believe we forgot hot cocoa; but something tells me we'll make up for it. 
   There was something magical about this extra day at home. It broke up our week and made it feel like a mini weekend. The smiles on the girls faces, the laughs we shared, made it all worth while. I'm so glad Amaya got one last sledding day in before her fixator comes on.    

Amaya sledding in the driveway next door (no one lives there).

This is such a fun picture of Lidie. She's getting ready to roll a snowball down a hill and watch it grow. 

Here's silly Amaya showing me the snowball before she throws it at me.

 My sweeties, making snow angels.

Here they are rolling snow balls  down a hill.

Josh enjoying a rarity ( a snuggle from Lidie).

      Later the girls played inside. After playing, dolls, super-heroes, and cars, they started playing doctors. It was very cute. Amaya came and asked me if I was okay or needed to see a doctor. I said my back hurt so she took care of me (she had Lidie attach a band aid). Then she told me that she works with Dr. Nelson and would also be helping him during Amaya's surgery. She said that Dr. Nelson was very kind and a great doctor. Then she told me how to take care of a fixator (do one to two hours or minutes of physical therapy each day, wash the fixator every day). Then she started showing me how to wash it; it was so cute to see her in "doctor mode." She's funny. She said that we should wash her fixator last, to make sure that all the shampoo that might have fallen in would be rinsed off. It was so funny, because I never said that, she came up with it all on her own. She had a mix of made up and real guidelines. But it was sweet to see her be so calm and realistic. "It might hurt, but that's why we give you pain medicine, to feel better. Amaya will be okay."
   Tomorrow we have our pre-op appointments with Dr. Nelson and the anesthesia department. I'll let you know how they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment