June 26, 2011

Dolphin Tale

    We went to see Cars 2 on opening day and saw a preview for the movie Dolphin Tale. It's based on the true story of Winter, a dolphin who lost her tail when she was three months old. Winter got separated from her family when she got entangled in a crab trap. She lost her tail and was adopted by her "forever family" then had a prosthetic tail made for her. I was immediately excited to see the movie, I'm a sucker for movies based on a true story or loosely based. Either way I enjoy them. But this one really got to me.  As I watched the preview I got teary eyed. I thought of all the children who've had to wear prosthetics and the journey they have gone on.
     I thought of my Amaya and her journey. I remembered all the things she's worn throughout the years to help her. Countless shoe lifts, a Pavlik harness at two weeks old, a neoprene knee brace, a custom made ACL knee brace. Not to mention her surgery, the cast and wheelchair that helped her recover as well as the hours of physical therapy.  Her journey is like many before her.  I wasn't so much sad as I was grateful for all the help that she's gotten along the way. And grateful that although her disability is a real one, it is something she can handle.





    Here's some photos of Amaya and her lifts, braces, cast, and wheelchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment