September 6, 2011

Bedtime routine

     Over the last couple of weeks we've made a minor adjustment to our bedtime routine. I usually lay next to Amaya and rub her head and sing until she falls asleep. A few weeks ago Amaya asked if instead of rubbing her head if I would rub her left leg and scars. I was kind of surprised when she asked me to do it. I wondered "do I not rub it often? Or enough?" I rubbed it and have been ever since. I try to not only rub it at bedtime, but also during the day. It's such a sweet little leg.
     As I rub it I realize that sometimes I've been a bit hesitant to rub it. I was afraid to hurt it or make it uncomfortable for her. Her leg was sore after her surgery in January and I tried to not bother it. It's so nice to be able to rub it. I try to take advantage of every chance I get to rub her leg, because I realize that my time to do so is limited. In about six months she'll have her lengthening surgery and have a fixator on for ten months. I'm not sure if I'll be able to rub it during that time. So I'm going to take advantage of it while I can.
     Speaking of scars, I'm always amazed at how big her scars are. She has one on her upper thigh that's about four inches long and then one that starts above the knee goes over it and makes an "s" shape. That one is about eight inches long (these are from the super knee procedure she had done in January). They look so big on her leg, (she's only about four feet tall). I'm amazed at what she's endured, overcome and survived. She's amazing.
     Another great addition to our bedtime routine; after we say "I love you" she responds with "and you love my little leg." "I do, very much," I say. Then I just smile and hold in my tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment