amaya at lake

amaya at lake

Thursday, June 7, 2012

I won't give up

     Another good night, but she was up at 5a.m. and I wondered if we'd ever catch up on sleep. When she has pain close to the morning time, she can't seem to fall back asleep. She went to school with Josh and stayed the whole morning. On the ride down she wore her ankle weight and kept it on for the entire drive (about thirty minutes). Her teacher said she had a good morning but was a bit tired and grumpy in the middle of the day, but quickly snapped out of it. I think Amaya is really getting worn out and ready for summer break. 
    When we got to therapy we listened to the Eye of the Tiger twice (I wish you could see/hear us. Lidie starts yelling out "woo's"  and we get all excited.). Amaya made her goal for today of 90 and 91 for tomorrow. She wore her ankle weight and rode the wheelchair to the playground and into therapy. When we got into the lobby Amaya got out and pushed Lidie and walked back into the gym. Before we started anything Melissa took a starting measurement of Amaya's knee (she had given Amaya a challenge to start at 45 degrees today). It was at 43, which is pretty good. Amaya made sure to apologize to Melissa for her behavior yesterday. Melissa was very kind, and understanding. After her work we starting measuring the knee. It was a 53 to start. I reminded Amaya to stay calm and do her best. She started bends and did great. She jumped quickly and within fifteen minutes made it to 90 degrees! Her attitude and determination made all the difference. When she was in the 70's and 80's it was tough and painful she kept saying, "I won't give up." I teared up at her determination and the pain she was in. It was such a huge change from yesterday (back to her normal amazing self. I guess even Amaya is allowed an "off" day.). 
When we got to therapy Amaya was standing while I got her wheelchair out. Then I noticed that as she stood her knee was bent. I was shocked. I can't even remember the last time her knee bent as she stood (without any effort). I know its been weeks if not a month or more. It was so exciting and encouraging!
We played in the playground for a few minutes before our appointment. It's funny because as she played there were four older people touring the outside of the facility and they looked over at Amaya with looks of confusion and amazement. It's like once they saw the fixator then they couldn't believe just how much she was doing .
Melissa had Amaya do some lunges. 
She'd lunge forward, pick up a ball and throw it at Savannah Rose (that what we've named the painting of the redheaded girl on the wall; since my unborn niece turned out to really be a boy).
Here's Amaya riding the bike today. As soon as she started I noticed how quickly she was able to gain her momentum and maintain it. She rode around the trampoline five times.
At Chuck E. Cheese's for Amaya's school fundraiser. I know its blurry, but I love seeing her up and playing while her wheelchair sits parked.

No comments:

Post a Comment