June 3, 2012

Some insights from Amaya

Amaya has made some observations that I thought I'd share.
      When she used a public bathroom in her wheelchair she noticed that sometimes the sinks aren't low enough for people in wheelchairs to use. And sometimes when they are, they put the soap up too high to reach. "It makes no sense." she said. I agree. The layout of stuff isn't made for people who'll actually use them. A little thought, and planning would make things better, easier and fair.  
     On the ride home the other day Amaya asked, "why isn't there a movie of people without arms or legs? Why aren't they on TV a lot?" I tried to explain why as best I could, but realized I really didn't have an answer. She said, "when I'm big, I'll take a break from being a doctor and make a movie starring only people with missing arms or legs. Talk about inspirational. They'll help so many people. We can even have a race where no one wins or loses, but they all work hard to do their own best."

    Sometimes I have to remember that she's only six and a half. Her wisdom and maturity amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment