October 17, 2012

Can't sleep

    It's 3:40 am and I should be sleeping. But I just can't fall back asleep. In less than three hours we'll be on our way to the hospital to have Amaya's fixator removed.  Its been an intense, seven months. Sometimes long, sometimes unbearable, sometimes amazing. Amaya will always be able to look back and be proud of herself for her strenght, determination, and resilience. She has been an inspiration and help to many and I'm proud of her. I'm grateful to Dr. Nelson for his skills, talents, and the time, energy and kindness he showed to us all along the way. Whether it was answering my emails at all hours of the day, or calming Amaya's or our nerves he was always there for us (even when he was out of the state or country). I'm confident he'll take good care of Amaya today and that gives me some calmness. I'm also grateful to her therapists whose daily help got us through some tough times. I'm still amazed that Amaya's femur grew 3.1 inches! Who knew that was possible? Not easy, but possible. Her leg and life will never be the same; she has a stable knee, stable hip and lengthened femur for the first time in her life. Tomorrow's surgery is the end of life with a fixator and the beginning of continued healing and rehabilitation for Amaya. As her muscles continue to grow she will continue to learn to walk, run, jump, etc. I'm excited to see all she will accomplish.
    For those of you who have been with us along this journey offering, help, compassion, kindness, prayers and support I offer our sincere gratitude. I'm grateful and often overwhelmed by the kindness of you all. Thank you for being a part of our journey.  Thank you all for the texts, messages, emails and calls we've received as we head into surgery once again. It's always a bit emotional, bit overwhelming. Amaya is looking forward to it. She has some nerves, but mostly she's looking forward to having the fixator removed. Lidie is still having a hard time with it all; she's only three and very nervous. She doesn't want to be away from us, she's worried for Amaya and has some anxiety. So please keep her in your thoughts. I'll be just as worried for her as I will for Amaya. We all need your good thoughts, love and prayers. As a mother my heart aches for my daughters. I want to spare them from anymore pain or uneasiness. They've certainly had their fare share this year and they're  ready for a break; we all are.
    As the surgery time gets closer I'm hopeful, grateful, nervous, excited, worried, and at a loss for words. But I can proudly say WE DID IT! We survived a long difficult procedure, months of daily physical therapy, daily wound care and little sleep. Seven months later we are forever changed. Thank you again! I'll keep you posted with Amaya's progress.

Last day before removal. Josh took her picture in front of school. 
Here's a close up of her leg. It'll never look like this again.
Her request for her last meal, a Big Mac. We requested it with no patties then put in our veggie patties for a veggie Big Mac. She loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment