October 29, 2012

Disneyland

     Yesterday we went to Disneyland with the girls, my sister-in-law and nephew. We haven't been in almost two years (which is a lot for us Southern California residents). We were able to get discounted tickets after participating in the CHOC walk in the park two weeks ago. After these past seven and a half months we were so excited to go and treat the girls to a fun day. When we were there I thought of the Super Bowl commercials that show the MVP for the winning team. He's celebrating their victory then looks into the camera, the narrator asks, "now that you've won the super bowl what are you going to do?" and he replies with, "I'm going to Disneyland!" As a kid, that was my favorite thing about the Super Bowl, the commercials and seeing who was going to Disneyland. Yesterday as we walked through the park I wanted to shout out to passersby, "we're going to Disneyland!" It would have made no sense since we were already there, but in my head I was shouting it out nonetheless. Because in my head its like we just won the super bowl. We've survived, accomplished something so amazing that I'm so happy. And I'm incredibly proud of our two girls. Amaya has endured so much pain, and discomfort. She has set and then met high goals for herself. She's been helpful and kind to other kids with PFFD who have or will have a lengthening surgery. She has continued to work hard at school, and at physical therapy. She manages to live a happy and full life despite the obstacles that come her way. I'm proud of Lidie for being so kind, protective and empathetic with her sister. She's had to grow up a lot these past months for a three year old and put her sister before her many times. She's had to be flexible, patient, and quiet (at many appointments). We've asked and demanded much of her and she's risen to the occasion each time, okay most times. After all she is only three.
   If anyone deserves a day at Disneyland its these two girls. A day to just be kids, to have fun, let their imaginations run wild and have some extra treats. One of my favorite memories was watching the girls during the parade. They got so excited as they would see the floats turn around the corner. They would gleefully yell out the characters name and point with such joy filled eyes. I was filled with joy and happiness watching them. Another great memory was having Amaya drive me around in the Autopia ride. She was having so much fun and we both laughed so hard. I also enjoyed seeing Lidie's face as she tried to understand how the birds and flowers sang inside the Tiki room.
    It was a wonderful day and I am grateful for time with the girls and Josh. Its still crazy to me to think that just two weeks ago we were there participating in the CHOC walk in the park (We raised $450 for the children's hospital of Orange County. You can still donate until October 31st on their website www.chocwalk.net.). Two weeks ago Amaya still had her fixator on and we were heading into another surgery.  Life has changed drastically in two weeks. Thankfully for the better.
The girls enjoying the day!
Amaya watching the parade.
Lidie mesmerized by the parade.
My nephew looking not very impressed by the Dumbo ride. But I enjoyed riding with him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment