October 13, 2011

Aimee Mullins on the word disabled

    I watched a video yesterday called Aimee Mullins: the opportunity of adversity on TED.com for the first time. It moved me to tears. I appreciate how eloquently she talks about the power of words and how we label others. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. She talks about the word disabled, and how we label and view people who are disabled. Personally I like her definition of disabled a lot more.
     I had never heard of Aimee until yesterday. She is an athlete, actress, model and double amputee. She was born with  fibular hemimelia (she was missing her fibula bones) as a result both legs were amputated below the knee. The video is about twenty minutes long, but well worth your time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
You can view it at http://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mullins_the_opportunity_of_adversity.html


1 comment:

  1. Over the weekend Amaya was telling me all the sports she'd like to do after ballet is done; gymnastics and soccer. I said that would be fun and I'm sure she'd do great. She calmly and confidently said, "I know I can do it, you always tell me that I can do anything and I believe you. I can." I'm so glad she's always listening and believing us. This just proves the power of words.

    ReplyDelete