October 29, 2011

A pop and an ouch

      Tonight Amaya was cuddling up to me on the couch as we watched some television. She moved her body then I heard a "pop" from her left knee followed by an "ouch." This is the first time I have heard her knee pop since she had the super knee procedure done in January. This is the first time, ever, that it's been followed by an "ouch." I don't like to hear "ouch" coming from my girls. Her knee use to pop quite often. We didn't know why or what was causing it until she was several months old. Her doctor at the time told us that her knee was dislocating, hence the popping sound we heard. She said that it didn't hurt Amaya. Her second orthopaedic told us that we had to be careful because all that "popping" could damage her knee. That's when Amaya began to wear a knee brace. When Dr.Nelson did the super knee in January and actually got to go in and see the knee, he could see that Amaya was missing all the ligaments in her knee. That's why her knee would dislocate, that's why it would pop. Often children with PFFD have weakened or missing ligaments in the knee. If she was up she'd usually end up falling or tripping or losing her balance. If she was sitting or laying, it would pop and that was that. We all became quite use to it.
      We started hearing the "popping" when Amaya was a day old and heard it up until January. So to hear it now, after ten months without it, was quite of a surprise for me. But, what I'm most surprised and unhappy about is the "ouch" that followed it. I'm not sure what this means, but at least we already have an appointment set with Dr. Nelson for less than a month from now.
     When I was putting Amaya to bed, and rubbing her leg I asked her some questions about the popping.
     "has it popped before?"
     "yeah"
     "how often does it pop? Every day? Once a week?"
     "once a week, sometimes, not a lot. It's when I move my leg in a funny way, or if I'm tired, then it'll pop."
     "does it hurt?"
     "I can feel my bones move, one goes above the other, and it hurts."
      Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I'm glad she's able to clearly explain what she feels. What must it be like to feel your knee dislocate and have one bone move above the other? I don't know. I'm trying to stay calm and positive and wait to see what Dr. Nelson thinks about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment