August 29, 2012

Interns

     Last night was one of the roughest nights Amaya (and us) has had in about a month. She complained of knee pain for pretty much the entire night. I had to give her a dose of Tylenol at bedtime and then again during the night. I haven't had to do that in awhile. I massaged her knee, rubbed her leg and tried to comfort her as best I could, but nothing seemed to help. She was crying, moaning, groaning, whining and whimpering throughout the night and into the morning. It was very tiring and sad. Thankfully she woke up rested enough for school. Her knee was very stiff this morning when she unlocked her bar. She cried and asked for it to stay locked. I reminded her that in the long run that wouldn't help her. Her knee just needed to wake up and loosen up. It took awhile, but then she was okay. I mentioned it to Melissa today and she said that it was normal for her muscles to get stiff like that.
   When I picked her up from school she said she had a good day but that her bottom pin was bothering her. She said it looked like it had a bump on it and it was hurting. She showed it to Melissa, who didn't notice anything, but did say to keep an eye on it. I checked it again after her shower and I noticed a small bump but no redness or other sign of infection. She's almost done with her current round of antibiotics so that should take care of any possible infection. She decided to take her wheelchair today so that she wouldn't get as tired. When I was signing her out of the office another teacher told me that she saw Amaya walking yesterday and didn't see her wheelchair. She said that she's proud of Amaya for all she's doing and how hard she's working. I thanked her for her kind words. It's always nice to hear kind words.
   At therapy there was an intern working with Melissa today. Melissa asked if she could observe Amaya's session. Amaya said that was okay. The intern was nice and kind, but I can't remember her name. Amaya liked her as well. While Melissa was applying new tape a medical student came in and asked if he could observe as well. He said he was going to be a pediatrician. He told Amaya that it was okay if she didn't want him there. She said that one student was enough for today. Before he left she told him she was going to be an orthopedic surgeon for Halloween and when she grows up. Melissa reminded her that she would have to do what he was doing now, observations when she goes to med school. He asked who Amaya's surgeon was and when we told him Dr. Nelson he said, "he's solid. He saves Haiti during his time off." We told him that as far as we knew he's already gone to Haiti twice since Amaya had her surgery in March. We told him that we also think Dr. Nelson is pretty cool.
     I like this picture for several reasons. One its shows Lidie having fun. Also, it shows her with many new friends. I took this today at the new play-group that she and I joined. She got to meet several kids and their parents. She got to share, play, take turns, talk, build, laugh, get wet and be a kid. We both enjoyed ourselves and its nice having an outlet and something to do beside take Amaya to therapy. When I talked about Amaya I showed off pictures of her leg and x-rays. The pictures of the fixator help people understand what it is she's doing, and what our life is like. It's nice to see people's reactions; amazement, excitement, encouragement and they recognize that she is tough and "a trooper." Lidie and I are enjoying our extra time. It's freeing to not have to rush off to an appointment. We've been going to parks, the library, and started our play group. 
The view from the lake as Lidie played.
Amaya warmed up on the bi-scooter today. She rode it down the hall, up the hill and back. When she got back in the gym she worked on the ladder then laid on her tummy on the red scooter while Melissa bent her knee back. As she bent it she would push and pull Amaya forward. Amaya enjoyed that. I didn't get any pictures because I had to take Lidie out into the hall to take a break. She was very tired, hungry and cranky and decided to throw a fit. 
Melissa asked her if she wanted to ride the bike but Amaya said no, so Melissa had her ride the scooter instead. She rode around bowling pins in a figure eight. Melissa asked her to go eight times and Amaya said, "well eight is better than ten." I love how she sees the positive in all things.
 Melissa asked again if Amaya wanted to ride the bike. Amaya still said no, so instead she walked to the adult gym to work on the total gym machine. She bent her leg and straightened it out.  
When we got back to the gym Amaya started her bends. Her knee was at forty-six degrees to start, but got up to sixty degrees in seconds. She worked hard, without complaining and got to eighty degrees within a minute and a half. She started to cry, but kept going. She kept her focus and pushed on until she got ninety-two degrees. 
   Later I reminded Amaya that she needs to cooperate and do the exercises that Melissa suggests (like ride the bike) because they help her. And we reminded her that when interns or students come we should help them by letting them observe. It's her choice if she wants to let them or not and I'm glad she voiced her desire. But I wish she would have helped that med student out today. 
   Tonight bed time was rough. Amaya cried a great deal with knee pain, Lidie was so tired she fought going to sleep, I was tired (from a poor nights rest). It was not a good combination. I kept asking for just one more ounce of patience and energy. Thankfully Josh made me laugh just when I needed it. Both girls eventually fell asleep. 
    As I rubbed Amaya's knee she showed me where it hurts. The bottom of her knee, under her kneecap (from the stretch that she gets by locking the bar in place) and on the inside of her knee. On the inside I can feel something move when I rub it. I'm not sure if its a tendon, ligament or muscle. I know that her knee doesn't look, work or feel like a normal one does so its hard to say what it is exactly. I had to push down on both places and then rub them to finally give her some relief. She's stayed asleep since so I'm hoping for a better night's rest, for all of our sakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment