December 16, 2012

No wheelchair or placard

     When we got to therapy I tried to find a close parking spot. Our disabled parking placard expired on December first and we've been getting by without it. We do fine without it, but I always try to find parking spots that are close, or near a sidewalk because it takes awhile to cross the parking lot. And some people aren't very patient or looking out for a four year old, or a seven year old with a walker. It's not as bad at the therapy parking lot, but other places get very tricky! We haven't used the wheelchair in about two weeks either. Its nice to see Amaya walk in and out of therapy. Before she use to get tired and need the walker on her way out of therapy, but she hasn't needed it since we started therapy a few weeks ago. Some days, when she's sore from therapy, she'll ask my why I didn't bring it, but then it quickly passes. The last couple of days she started complaining of numbness in her feet and pain in them. She asks me to massage them, rub them and squeeze them tight. Its usually at night before bed, but sometimes its during the day too. I'll mention it to Melissa at our next session to see what she says about it and recommends.
     On our way out I saw the boy with a fixator on both femurs. We saw them a few weeks ago, and I had talked to his mom a little bit. I went over to say hello and ask how they were doing. The boy looked good, and I made sure to let him know. His mom said they expect the fixators to be removed in late January. I told them both that the time will pass quicker than they anticipate. And I hope it does. I know exactly how long days and nights can be with a fixator on, let alone two. The mom asked me what the pin sites looked like after the fixator was removed. I told her that I had posted pictures on our blog and gave her the blog address. I hope they and the blog help her. We both mentioned that a lot of this is so unknown, we don't know what to expect or what to think. We're not told much or what to expect. I told her that's why I updated all the information and pictures in our blog, to help others. Then I walked her through what to expect the day of the removal and after. I walked her through the healing process on the pin sites. We wished them well, and they wished us happy holidays. 
    It's nice making these connections with other families. Even just a quick chat with someone who knows what you're going through is helpful. I always enjoy it. I wish their family the best.
The girls cuddling in the lobby waiting for our session to start. When Melissa came out to get us she took Amaya's walker away and had her walk on her own. As Amaya walked (in her skinny jeans), her left left looked a bit bow legged. I pointed it out to Melissa and she agreed. She said it could be the way Amaya walks and bends her leg that it gives it that illusion. 
Melissa started by stretching Amaya's muscles. Melissa said that Amaya's hamstrings were tight. The other woman was a newly hired therapist at another location and was shadowing Melissa for the day.
Then Melissa had Amaya lay on her tummy to work on her left butt muscle. She put a 1.5 lb. weight on Amaya's ankle, but Amaya couldn't lift it. It was too heavy for her so Melissa had her lift her leg without a weight on it. Moments like that, when Amaya can't do something, hurt my heart. I hate even typing it. Its a reminder of how much Amaya has to do still, how much most of us take for granted. It makes me wish that she could walk and run and play with ease. Then I take a deep breath, try to stay calm, wipe my tears, remember all we've accomplished, hope for the best, and focus on what's next. I focus on Amaya's strengths, determination and will & drive to improve. It'll take time and effort, but if anyone can do it, she can. 
Then Melissa had Amaya do some hip lifts, and lift her left leg. These stretches are getting a bit easier for Amaya each day. 
Lidie  was busy riding the bike and bowling 
Today Amaya rode the bike up the hill while she pulled the orange roll behind her. Amaya said it wasn't too tough. Melissa said she thinks the roll weighs about thirty pounds. Lidie was upset she had to stop riding the bike so that Amaya could use it. That's why you can hear her crying in the video.  It's not always easy for Lidie to understand that Amaya needs to use what she's playing with. 
Back in the gym Amaya climbed up and down the ladder five times.
Melissa had Amaya stand and sit several times. 
Then Melissa had Amaya balance on her left foot and touching the cones with her right foot. When Melissa moved the cones apart Amaya had a hard time touching both cones. Because it meant standing on her left leg longer to do it.
Then it was time to measure her knee. Amaya decided she'd make her goal 110 degrees. She had gotten to 108 on Wednesday so we told her it was a realistic goal. She started at 90 ten went to 96. She built her way up to 110 degrees. When she finally got there it hurt. Amaya wanted to straighten her leg to release then pain, but Melissa had her hold it there for a count to ten to let it stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment