December 29, 2012

The queen of physical therapy

     I started Thursday morning by spending half and hour on the phone trying to track down Amaya's referrals especially for the boot that the wound doctor wants her to wear. I wasn't able to get any answers, just more numbers of people to call and I left some messages. Its very frustrating! All I kept thinking was that we're never gong to get that boot in time! Her wound care appointment is on the tenth and we still don't have it. The wound doctor wanted her to wear it two to three weeks before he saw her to see if it helped at all. I'm not sure if it will help at all, but I know I want to do my best to try if it means sparing her from another surgery. 
    Since we had some family come up for the day Josh and Lidie stayed home form therapy. Amaya didn't like having to leave family to go to therapy and I don't blame her. I was glad that Lidie got to say and had a day off from therapy. Josh mentioned that he gets a day off form work, a winter break, but I don't get one from therapy. He had offered to take her and that I could stay home. But it just doesn't seem right. She doesn't' get to miss so why should I? And I like going. I get to learn things from Melissa; new exercises and homework to do with Amaya to help her recover and heal. It was nice that Josh acknowledged that I don't get a "day off" though. 
   On the drive over we said listened to The Eye of The Tiger (over and over and over). As we passed by the Children's hospital we said our hellos to the people at the hospital and at the Ronald McDonald house. Amaya said it seemed like a long time since her fixator was removed. I told her it had been three months. She said that was a long time. But, its funny because its not even half as long as she had it on (7 1/2 months). But, its funny because originally Dr. Nelson told us that she might have to wear it for ten months. Its only because she lengthened so quickly and healed so well that it was able to come off ahead of schedule. She told me she was excited for New Years and for 2013 to come. When I asked her why she said, "Because I get to see Dr. Nelson in January." I don't know of many kids that look forward to seeing their doctors, but Amaya does. And that should tell you something about how great Dr. Nelson is. 
    Melissa said she submitted the new prescription for continued therapy for Amaya. She said it will be for the same amount, three days per week. I think we hoped and many expected it to drop down to twice or once per week by now, but Amaya isn't at that point yet. Melissa wants Amaya to be able to walk okay so that she can build to running. I asked her how long it takes to develop a muscle after its had some atrophy. She said minimum one month of hard work. Then she mentioned how much of a difference a week off made for Amaya. As much as I'd like a break or to be done with therapy I want what's best for Amaya and at this point it means continued physical therapy. Her walk still needs help, her muscles need more strength and she needs to rebuild that butt muscle. 
When we got back Melissa started by doing a technique that Mark, one of the physical therapists there invented. She said it helps to redirect the blood flow and we should see some change in sensation. Mark has been fine tuning the technique and gathering research to support his theories. Melissa held up Amaya's feet and pinched an area above her foot. 
Then she had her lay on her side while she pushed on her back. Melissa suggested that I add it to our daily physical therapy homework. 
Here's a close up of what she did to her foot. She said I should hold it for five minutes each day.
Melissa asked Amaya to balance in front of the mirror on her left leg. Amaya said she would try to do it for one minute. Melissa told her that was a lot for anybody and to try to hold it for fifteen seconds. Amaya did thirteen seconds!  Melissa was very impressed. The most Amaya has been able to do up to this point is five seconds. So thats a big improvement!
Melissa had Amaya get up and down on the step. She does it, but its very labored and takes some effort. Melissa suggested that at home we have her walk up and down the stairs without holding the rails (as long as one of us is spotting her).
Amaya used this machine once before but its been awhile. As soon as she pushed her leg back she said, "ouch. I remember that." Melissa said that its good to help with her buns and thigh work out. We both laughed at the old buns of steel videos form when we were younger. 
     Then Melissa had Amaya walk sideways carrying thirty five pounds. She did it several times facing both directions. I was walking in front of her doing it with and and when we were done I could definitely feel some of the muscles in my leg. Melissa said that it forces you to use different muscles than when you walk forward. I can't imagine what Amaya's legs felt like because I did it without any weights on and she had thirty-five! Not to mention she only weighs forty-six pounds.
    While Amaya was doing this exercise one of the other therapists told Melissa, "she's looking good, Melissa." I looked over, smiled and thanked him for his encouragement. Melissa said, "yes she is." Then Melissa told Amaya that she was the queen of physical therapy because everybody there knows her. Amaya just smiled. On the way out I asked her if she thought she was the queen of physical therapy and she said, "No. I'm not, they are. The therapist are the queens and kings." Then she looked up at me with such a sweet smile. 
Then we headed over to the elliptical. Amaya did five minutes but halfway through she complained that she was sore. Melissa said the pain she's feeling is normal after having a week off. Melissa told her that this will really help with running.
Melissa had Amaya walk in front of the mirror. Amaya kept leading with her shoulders so Melissa had her hold some bowling pins to help her arms lay down by her side. 
 
When Amaya got to Melissa she jumped and marched with joy. Melissa pointed out that you could hear a difference in her two feet. As I listened I couldn't believe how drastic the change was. When Amaya marched in place her right foot was loud and strong, but the left was so soft. Melissa had her push really hard with the left and it louder, but nowhere bear the right foot. It was crazy to hear and see such a difference. 
Melissa had Amaya climb up the ladder while shifting the weight in her hips. Melissa showed em the difference between the two hips and how the hips shifted.
Then we went out into the hall to ride the train. Amaya had good movement on there and looked very smooth. 
     Then Melissa let Amaya swing into the ball pit three times before doing her knee bends. When she started the bends her knee was at 95 degrees, then 100, but at 103 Amaya was in pain. Melissa held the stretch and had Amaya breathe. Then she got up to 105 then got to 108! 

No comments:

Post a Comment