January 21, 2012

Chonis!

    We have chonis! I'm not sure why that makes me so happy. Maybe it's because its one less thing to do before Amaya's surgery, or that I'm happy/surprised/proud at how well they came out. Or a little of both. In case you aren't sure what chonis are, they're underwear. That's what my aunts called them when I was little, so that's what I call them now too. 
    In case you're wondering why I had to alter her chonis, let me explain.  When Amaya has her fixator attached she won't be able to wear regular underwear, pants, shorts, tights, leggings, etc. The fixator will stick out from her leg (not exactly sure how far at this point, but from pictures I've seen its about an inch or so). On the other blogs I've seen the kids have had Velcro added to their chonis and pants so that they  can get their clothes over their fixator with ease. 
      They were pretty easy to make. I cut them from top to bottom. At first I thought I would do it right at the hip, but since her surgeon is going to work on her hip as well (she'll probably have an incision and stitches on her hip) I wanted to make the cut so that it wouldn't lay right on her hip. My aunt suggested cutting a few inches in from the hip, and that worked great. Next, I measured the length of the Velcro and cut it. I had half inch Velcro that I cut in half length wise so that it would be thinner. I pinned the Velcro in place then sewed it in place. And just like that, they were done. It only took about an hour or so.
      I'm gonna wait before I make any pants, or shorts until she has her fixator on. Luckily she can wear dresses and skirts until she has pants and shorts done. Those might be a little trickier to do, but my aunt has volunteered to help. Wish me luck. I'll post some pictures once they're made.




No comments:

Post a Comment